12 Jan 2009 09:49
Wikidot has more pages than the english version of Wikipedia!
As of today:
- Wikidot.com: 2 773 120 pages
- Wikipedia.org (en): 2 683 000+ articles
The Wikipedia quote is taken directly from http://www.wikipedia.org and I am not sure how many the "+" stand for.
Comparing Wikidot to Wikipedia would be bold for a couple of reasons, e.g.
- Wikipedia is THE free online encyclopedia
- Wikipedia has much more traffic to their pages
- I am sure Wikipedia has more revisions per page, more content in pages
- It is a completely different project with different goals
The raw comparison of number of pages points however the scale we are approaching in Wikidot. Piotr has a couple of great posts recently about scalability, search indexing and similar stuff related to Wikidot.
Tasks that are really simple when you have a couple of documents, like a wiki with 1 000 pages with a few visitors, can become extremely difficult when you have 3 million of documents and 3-4 million visitors each month, fetching pages 35 million times per month and making half million edits each month.
rating: 2, tags: wikidot wikipedia